BE YOUR BEST PROGRAMME PRIVACY NOTICE
‘Be Your Best’ (‘BYB’) is a weight management and healthy lifestyle programme for Surrey families who have children under 12. It is delivered and managed by Active Surrey, in partnership with Children and Family Health Surrey and Surrey University’s Dietetic Department.
The full ‘Targeted Programme’ includes nurse visits and group sessions for ‘eligible families’.
‘Eligible families’ are those with a child under 12 who is over the 91st centile for BMI (overweight) who ALSO meets one or more of the following:
- has a learning disability or SEND
- has a long term health condition or disability
- lives in one of the 30% most deprived areas of Surrey
- comes from a family on a low income (typically less than £20,000 per annum)
The ‘Universal Offer’ is guidance on resources and topics which can include access to ‘Group Sessions’, if places are available. Those eligible for the Universal Offer are families with children above 91st centile (overweight) who do not fit into the eligibility criteria for the Targeted Programme.
‘Group Sessions’ refer to events primarily held in Family Centres and run by University of Surrey
‘1-1 Sessions’ refer to personal sessions with a specialist nurse from Children & Family Health Surrey.
‘Upshot’ is a secure, password-protected data capture system that is used to manage and monitor personal data for those in the Targeted Programme, and is used to capture basic details for those accessing the Universal Offer. Only the BYB Team plus Upshot Administrator within Active Surrey, and the BYB Nurse delivering 1-1 sessions will be able to access the records
'Us', or 'We' means the ‘BYB team’ within Active Surrey (an Administrator, a Programme Lead and two support staff), PLUS other partners who help deliver BYB programme – University of Surrey students and BYB nurses managed by Children & Family Health Surrey.
Be Your Best Privacy Notice
This policy explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy.
Why do we need your personal data?
With your consent we collect your data and that of any eligible child to manage your participation in Be Your Best and to measure the overall effectiveness of the programme.
What data we collect and what we do with it
- For those enquiring about BYB via the programme website (www.bybsurrey.org) your name, telephone number and postcode (along with your email address if you choose to give it) will be captured on the ‘contact form’. These details will be used to contact you to check your family’s eligibility for the programme, and answer any initial questions.
- For those requesting to enrol into the Targeted Programme a Referral Form will be completed. This can be completed by you on paper, electronically or over the phone, or by a Health Professional (with your agreement) electronically or on paper. A copy of the referral form can be found on our website www.BYBSurrey.org.uk
Details from the form will be input into the Upshot database (see ‘Definitions’ above) by the BYB administrator before, notifying the BYB nurse of your referral. The nurse will use these details to make contact with you and start booking your 1-1 (personal) sessions if applicable.
- Should you be ineligible for the full Targeted BYB programme you can choose to be referred to the Universal Offer. In this case your surname and first half of your postcode only (ie ‘GU22’) will be recorded on Upshot.
Any paper, or electronic copies of the Referral Form held on referrer’s computers will be securely destroyed as soon as your details have been uploaded onto Upshot, which will be within no more than one month.
- If you are not referred to the Universal Offer or the Targeted Programme no details will be kept.
- Once the BYB nurse has visited you, and you are happy to be fully enrolled onto the Targeted Programme, they will complete a BYB Enrolment Pack, which will be left with you.
- The Nurse will input details from the Enrolment Pack and the participant handbook directly onto Upshot OR take a photo using his/her work phone in order to input the completed results onto the Upshot database after their visit. Once uploaded the information will be deleted from the Nurse’s phone.
- Once on the Targeted Programme the nurse will also supply you with an A5 Handbook in which you will be asked to record information including:
- a week’s food diary (for you and your child)
- a week’s activity diary (for you and your child)
- a week’s screen time (for your child).
- As with any other health advice received, notification of the 1-1 nurse sessions will be recorded on your child’s health record.
- Bookings for Group Sessions will be made using the Bookwhen app, which only the BYB Team within Active Surrey will access. Data stored on the secure Bookwhen server will include parent’s name, email and phone number, as well as the ages and relevant medical/learning difficulties of any children attending.
- Medical conditions or learning disabilities you have previously disclosed may be shared with the leader of a Group Session to ensure you have the best experience possible.
- When attending Group Sessions (which include family games with low-level physical activity) a register will be taken. If you are part of the Targeted Programme your attendance will be noted on your Upshot record, and registers will then be destroyed.
- If you are attending the Cooking Group Session run by Family Learning you will be asked to complete a form supplied by them – these details will be controlled by Family Learning, whose privacy statement can be supplied upon request.
- In the event of an emergency or safeguarding incident the Emergency Services and safeguarding professionals within Active Surrey (plus other BYB partners if relevant) will receive name, age, medical, allergy, disability and emergency contact information as required.
- Anonymised participant data (with all contact information, name and house/street, medical and allergy details removed) will be kept and analysed by University of Surrey to produce general information demonstrating the impact and benefits of the Be Your Best programme.
- Photos /videos may be taken of you/ your child during the programme, but in cases where you are identifiable within the shots ONLY with your consent, which will be recorded separately at the time.
- Your information or your child’s information will never be sold to third parties.
Data storage and security
Any data you provide will be stored securely by Active Surrey on servers hosted by Surrey County Council, in password protected folders accessible only to the BYB Team. For the online databases we use (Upshot, plus Bookwhen for Group Sessions), data will be encrypted and stored on servers within the EU. Any temporary paper records will be securely destroyed within no more than one month from date of creation.
The Upshot system on which we record participants’ details is operated by The Football Foundation, a charity established jointly by the Government, the Football Association and the Premier League You can read their detailed Privacy Statement at www.upshot.org.uk
The Bookwhen app (used to book onto Group Sessions) has its own privacy statement which can be viewed at www.bookwhen.com/privacy
Children and Family Health Surrey Privacy statement can be found here: https://childrenshealthsurrey.nhs.uk/about-us/privacy-policy
Data storage duration
- Enquiries made using the ‘Enquiry’ and ‘Contact’ forms on the Be Your Best website will be kept for a maximum of 4 months before deletion.
- Details held on Upshot will be kept for a maximum of 3 years from the date the details are supplied and then deleted from servers (which will be no later than February 2023)
- Paper copies of any Referral Form or details copied from a user’s Enrolment Pack will be destroyed as soon as the information has been successfully uploaded to Upshot, which will be no more than one month from the date supplied
- Details you supply when booking a Group Session using the Bookwhen system (your name, telephone number and email) will be kept for 6 months from the date of the Session.
- Local registers for Group Sessions taken by Session Leaders will be destroyed as soon as details of those attending have been added to Upshot, which will be no longer that one month from the date of the course.
- Anonymised participant details (with all contact information, name and house/street, medical and allergy details removed) will be kept for evaluation and statistical purposes.
- Any photos or videos – which will only be used after your additional consent has been obtained - may be kept for 3 years.
- Active Surrey is required to retain details relating to any medical or safeguarding incidents or accidents that occur for two years following the end of the Be Your Best programme.
Change or deletion of your details
You may contact Active Surrey's BYB Programme Lead via email on email@example.com or by telephone on 01483 517005 to request a copy of the data held on you/your child and to request that this personal data is amended if incorrect or deleted.
We have set out what we do with your data and your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation May 2018.
Questions about this Policy or your data
If you have any queries about how your data is used please contact, in the first instance, the BYB Programme Lead, Active Surrey, Quadrant Court, 35 Guildford Road, Woking, Surrey GU22 7QQ. Telephone: 01483 517005